What Is West Coast Swing?
West Coast Swing is a sophisticated, high styled evolution of the Lindy or Jitterbug which became popular during World War II. In order to conserve space on the crowded ballroom floors of that era, the dancers started using a “slot” pattern instead of the circular one used in the East Coast style of swing dancing.
West Coast Swing is done in a 6 or 8-count rhythm, with a unique quality that allows partners the choice of individual technique, styling and personal expression. Danced to a wide variety of music-including blues and contemporary-it is both fun and challenging.
RESDC supports all swing dancing but puts particular emphasis on providing dancers with a great place to West Coast Swing.
Who Are We?
Founded in 1986, RESDC is a not-for-profit, charitable organization whose main purpose is to promote and preserve swing dancing in the North Bay. Even though swing includes Lindy, Shag, Jitterbug, Balboa, East Coast Swing and others, this club primarily promotes West Coast Swing, the California State Dance.
Our monthly dances are generally held on the 4th Saturday of the month from 7:00 to11pm.
Why Join RESDC?
Joining RESDC is a concrete way of supporting West Coast Swing dancing in the North Bay. Run entirely by volunteers, your joining helps the club:
- sponsor monthly club dances
- bring in top DJ’s
- publish the monthly newsletter
- offer beginning lessons to new dancers
- publicize state-wide dance events on our web site
- offer local Jack and Jill contests
- sponsor workshops with top instructors
- provide food at dances
- hold special dances, such as our Invitational and our Black and White Ball
RESDC offers new and experienced dancers a local venue in which to have fun, continue to improve dance skills, attend workshops, make new friends, stay connected with old friends, and share in a wonderful dance community.
- Discounts on most RESDC dances ($3 off adult rate)
- Discounts on affiliated club dances (Next Gen, Sacramento, Santa Cruz)
- Receive “Swing Times” monthly newsletter
- Borrow dance tapes from our video library
- Join other club members for Club Night Out (CNO) events at other dance venues
- Become an Exhibition Dance Team member
- Obtain tickets to dance conventions at RESDC tables, with preferred seating
- Receive early notice of workshops taught by local and national dance talent
- Apply to serve on the Board of Directors
- Receive e-mail updates about dances
- New members receive one free dance pass
Ready to Join?
Download the brochure: Membership Information and Application